Like iPhones, CPAP machines have changed a lot over the past few years. The latest models are even starting to look like Apple devices. These changes in the form and function of CPAPs serve very important purposes.
(1) If a CPAP machine is more attractive and user-friendly, someone diagnosed with sleep apnea is more likely to use it.
- They’re quieter and smaller.
- It’s easier to turn on and off (many turn on automatically once you put on the mask and start breathing).
(2) If the technology allows for wireless transmission of usage data, the CPAP supplier (for some of you that might be us, learn more about “smart machines” here) doesn’t have to hassle patients for smartcard download. When compliance data is required by the insurance company, the provider can easily access the data (here’s a post where we talk about our process).
- Your CPAP supplier can help you troubleshoot when you’re having issues with therapy. They can even adjust the settings remotely on some machines.
- You have access to your usage data, either online or on an app. Knowledge is power.
- If/when your insurance company requires proof of usage for your device rental or purchase or when it’s time for new supplies, your supplier can easily obatin the info and send it directly to the insurance company. No need to mess with shipping cards back and forth.
(3) New devices are better at treating sleep apnea. That’s a big deal.
So, now that you want a new machine, you’re going to ask, “How do I get a new CPAP?”
How Often Will Your Insurance Cover a New CPAP Machine?
It varies insurance by insurance; however, if you’ve had your machine for 5 or more years or your machine is in poor working condition, you may qualify for a replacement. You will need a new prescription from your physician and documentation of a face-to-face evaluation stating that you are still using and benefiting from therapy. If you have HMO insurance, your physician may need to request authorization from your medical group (learn more about insurance requirements for CPAP here).
If your device is broken (and no longer covered under warranty) or stolen, your insurance may approve a new device even faster.
Check with your CPAP supplier to discuss next steps.
Will I need a new sleep study to get a new device?
Again, it depends on your insurance.
Typically, you will only need a new sleep study for one of the following reasons:
- Your symptoms return. If the symptoms that lead you to get tested and start therapy (snoring, gasping at night, daytime sleepiness) return, you should talk to your doctor about evaluating your sleep problems and potentially changing your machine pressure.
- Your symptoms don’t go away. If you start therapy but your symptoms remain, you may need to be tested again to evaluate for another sleep disorder or to adjust your machine pressure.
- Weight gain or weight loss (this is one of the most desirable side effects of CPAP therapy). Weigh gain can increase the severity of sleep apnea and weight loss can reduce or even eliminate events. If you’ve had a significant weight change you should evaluate your pressure settings.
- Other major health changes. Stroke, heart attack or other cardiac issues since starting therapy or if you’ve started using nocturnal oxygen, may mean that you need a new sleep study.
If you’re interested in learning about getting a new CPAP device, contact us to find out about your insurance coverage or our cash rates. We’re contracted with most commercial health insurance and medical groups (HMOs).
See our list of contracted insurances
Shop CPAPs and supplies online
Other posts you may find interesting:
Steve AvilaPosted on October 19, 2017
I did a PSG in 2007 and have been using a machine since then. I want to upgrade my machine but am told I need a prescription. I haven’t been to my doc fo 6 years so they wanted me to come in for an exam. I just want to keep using a CPAP machine and what I have works….I just want to new version that is smaller and automated. Is there a way to upgrade the machine without going through all of this? Can my current machine be tested for pressure or can I do a home study? I definitely need the machine but thought I could just upgrade without all the other red tape.
julia madridPosted on January 17, 2018
I was put on a CPAP machine then my insurance changed companies and I returned the machine and haven’t gotten another machine as mix up will I have to go threw another sleep study to be put back on a c pap machine
anthony fernandesPosted on December 16, 2018
Do I have to go through another sleep test if I just want to upgrade my machine after 10yrs ?
Kerry ForbesPosted on April 07, 2020
My Cpap supplier says I can never own my rental and my insurance company says after a year or so they won’t pay anymore. So now I have to send my machine back after renting it for a year.
Sahab YadavPosted on May 08, 2020
We are Philips cpap machine authorized dealer and service provider in Lucknow. Our Technicians are well trained by Philips Trainer only. We are ready to serve you and provide you the best service for your cpap machine any time you require. We are also happily ready to serve you in case of emergency (24*7). We also supply CPAP Machine on rent along with all CPAP Accessories like CPAP filter and CPAP mask. For more information Call: +91-8400600800(Sahab Yadav)
Richard AssmanPosted on July 03, 2020
i enjoy putting my CPAP on my penis and ejaculating in the mask. It assist in my sleep therapy. Will insurance cover more frequent tubing replacements’?
Farfel DombrowskiPosted on December 16, 2021
All depends on the size of the load!
NIPosted on May 26, 2021
A very juvenile lonesome looser.
Paula MonahanPosted on June 11, 2021
My CPAP fell off of bedside table and the casing broke during the night. Can this be repaired or replaced?
lisaPosted on July 18, 2021
my machine has been recalled how do i get another thru insurance
Ann griesbaumPosted on August 07, 2021
My machine has been recalled and I have gunk coming out of it and constantly spitting water in my mask. I’ve only had it four years and insurance won’t cover a new one. What recourse do I have?? I get no answers from my cpap provider at all!
Health BlogsPosted on August 07, 2021
Good job guys! Please keep sharing.
EwPosted on November 10, 2021
My cpap drys my mouth out. The water in the tank empty into my stomach.
I have told them more then once.
The other cpap didn’t do that.
The tank need refilling in about 3 3/4 of a hour.
I skip nights because of it.
It blows my stomach.
When I skip some nights some of the extra pressure releases. Any suggestions.?
MarkPosted on November 23, 2022
You’re not replacing your filter often enough. I noticed that mine began emptying very fast, then when I replaced the filter it stopped doing that.
Phillips has a filtered cartridge you put a filter inside. Replace both if you have the same.
Sophia SimonsPosted on March 02, 2022
It’s easier to turn on and off (many turn on automatically once you put on the mask and start breathing).
games ioPosted on June 15, 2022
This post is exactly what I’m looking for. The content is fully fit and I enjoy it so much.
bubble shooterPosted on August 02, 2022
This post provides me with the information that I’ve been looking for. The information presented is perfect, and I get a lot of pleasure from reading it.
2 player gamesPosted on October 03, 2022
This will be a useful product for me even if I receive it late. Share more on the topic of trending online multiplayer games that are easy to access and join with friends.
RobPosted on November 03, 2022
If you have the S9 machine, they are fully recalled by Philips due to SOCLEAN mask, tubing, & device cleaning system. It apparently eats away the foam & rubber throughout the machines internally. Most of these machines are over 5 years, well past warranty. Philips allows you to go onto their website & register serial # to tell option of replacement. If none, they send you FEDEX label to ship device to them & will give you $50 to take device from circulation…
moto xmPosted on November 24, 2022
The game is also great for killing time and improving your patience, since youll have to wait for hours before you can catch anything.
moto xmPosted on November 24, 2022
If youre looking for an entertaining fishing game that offers plenty of fun without emptying your wallet, then Tiny Fishing Game is the perfect choice for you.
Pelle Pelle JacketsPosted on December 19, 2022
Thanks for sharing this informative post.