I received this email from a patient yesterday:
So what happens after the sleep study???
When will the results be ready?
It typically takes about one week for the results to be processed and a final sleep study sent to your physician. Each sleep study is scored by a technician and then reviewed by a sleep specialist.
Who receives the final sleep study report?
We fax the results to your physician. If you would like, we can also send a copy of the report to you.
What do I do next? Do I need another sleep study or PAP device?
Depending on the results of the sleep study, you and your doctor will decide what action to take next. It also depends on the type of sleep study that you had.
You may need to come in for another sleep study if one of the following applies:
- You had ONLY a baseline study which reveals that you have a sleep disorder and may benefit from a titration study.
- You had a titration study, 50/50 or split night study but the titration was not completed. This could happen because there was not enough time for the titration or the titration did not eliminate all events at the end of the study.
- Sometimes there are more complicated reasons for returning for another study. This will be detailed in your final sleep study report and you should talk with your doctor if you have any questions.
Other posts you may find interesting:
- Understanding Your Sleep Study Results
- Sleeping Outside and Camping with CPAP
- What do AHI, RERA, Arousal and AHI Mean?
- What Doctor Should I Talk to About My Sleep Problems?